Vocal Care Ten Commandments
For singers, vocalists and leaders who use their voice for communication, which certainly almost all of us, the care of the voice is essential to effective communication. There are some very basic principles for taking care of the voice. Some are obvious. Some are not so obvious.
1. Thou Shalt Not Yell
2. Thou Shalt Relax
3. Thou Shalt Not Smoke
4. Thou Shalt Avoid Glottal Plosives
5. Thou Shalt Not Cough Nor Clear Your Throat
6. Thou Shalt Not Get Sick
- Wash your hands often. Most respiratory illnesses are passed from one person to another via the hands.
- Get plenty of rest, about seven-and-a-half hours of sleep a night (see commandment seven).
- Eat a variety of whole foods (see commandment 8).
- Exercise—and not just vocal exercises (see commandment 9).