Tuesday, 2 May 2017
Benefits of Music Education
Music is universal. It’s more than a billion dollar industry, and it is omnipresent. How many hours in a row do you ever go without listening to music? Everywhere you go, everything you watch— music. Always music. We are surrounded in it, bathe in it, soak in it.
Then, why would we not want to know more about something constantly present in our lives? Would you want to live in a world without music? Then why would you want to have a school without music?
We would list innumerable number of reasons about the benefits of Music Education but here are our top ten:
1. Children who study music tend to have larger vocabularies and more advanced reading skills than their peers who do not participate in music lessons.
2. Children who study a musical instrument are more likely to excel in all of their studies, work better in teams, have enhanced critical thinking skills, stay in school, and pursue further education.
3. Increased coordination: Students who practice with musical instruments can improve their hand-eye coordination. Just like playing sports, children can develop motor skills when playing music.
4. Music is the fabric of our society, and music can shape abilities and character. Students in band or orchestra are less likely to abuse substances over their lifetime. Musical education can greatly contribute to children’s intellectual development as well.
5. Schools with music programs have an estimated 90.2% graduation rate and 93.9% attendance rate compared to schools without music education, which average 72.9% graduation and 84.9% attendance.
6. A Stanford study shows that music engages areas of the brain which are involved with paying attention, making predictions and updating events in our memory.
7. Much like expert technical skills, mastery in arts and humanities is closely correlated to a greater understanding of language components.
8. Young children who take music lessons show different brain development and improved memory over the course of a year, compared to children who do not receive musical training.
9. Emotional development: Students of music can be more emotionally developed, with empathy towards other cultures They also tend to have higher self esteem and are better at coping with anxiety.
10.Better self-confidence: With encouragement from teachers and parents, students playing a musical instrument can build pride and confidence. Musical education is also likely to help students develop better communication.
It is up to each of us to ensure that our children are exposed to learning music in their everyday life and especially at school. The importance of music and music education continues to be recognized everyday. Schools must not compromise on the quality of instructors or curriculum in order to ensure children are taught correctly and gain a life skills from the instruction. The school curriculum should be designed to deliver more than a minimal education to students. Music and Art should be taught at every elementary school in a regular and systematic way. Music and all Fine Arts should be considered “academic electives” in secondary schools and available to all students on a multi-year basis to allow adequate time for skills to develop sufficiently for informed decisions about college programs and career choices. All academic electives, including Music and Fine Arts, should count towards entrance requirements in colleges and universities.
Companies such as BlueTimbre offer quality music education programs in schools so that schools can continue to focus on what they do best. Companies such as BlueTimbre offer schools an alternative to being people dependant and worrying about the quality of instructors or curriculum. BlueTimbre works with schools providing complete Music Education solutions so that despite the students background or understanding, they have access to good quality instruments, teachers and internationally renowned curriculum. ‘While teaching music is important, showcasing the learning by performing is the key; says Sherin Winstent, founder and expert musician.
BlueTimbre is a Music hub with Music Education spaces, Jam Room and Recording studio located in India. BlueTimbre provides complete end-to-end Music Education solutions for schools. BlueTimbre works with schools providing complete Music Education solutions on campus. BlueTimbre management team comes with a decades of cumulative experience in running structured businesses, music curriculum development, music education and performance.